Friday, December 21, 2007

Stairway to Joy

Ah boredom. My old friend. Actually I havent been bored in a really long time. Lately, whenever I have a chance to do nothing its amazing. Of course doing nothing, with someone is different than doing nothing by yourself. So that probably is a huge part of it. But as of this moment, I am bored. Alone, and bored.

Here's a story to pass some time. I was walking down the sidewalk with a good friend one day in the middle of the summer, when we came across various drawings in multi-coloured sidewalk chalk. Most of them were the usual chaotic scribbles of a six year old, but one caught my eye. It looked like a rickety old ladder, just a whole bunch of lines giving the impression of rungs, and it stretched for a good ten steps down the street. At the bottom end was a label that stated, quite simply: Stairway to Joy. My friend and I proceeded to follow the trail of steps until we came to the end. Labeled at that end were the same three words. Stairway to Joy. Both of us laughed at the ignorant but deep philosophical point that the maker of the drawing had demonstrated.
How fleeting it is to pursue happiness, or joy. Their will be no end to the chase, the prize will forever evade you.

Hmmm. Ten minutes have passed. That didn't take as much time as I had hoped.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"How fleeting it is to pursue happiness, or joy. There will be no end to the chase, the prize will forever evade you."

I take issue with all that. In fact, it bothers me to read that. It has since you wrote it.

You have to take chances, or you may as well die. Life isn't about looking at the potential losses, but rather going forth in the face of inevitable loss and still smiling. There's no evasion of joy, but rather foreknowledge that no single accomplishment can be relied upon to always bring a sense of contentment. And if it can, then that's hubris and you need to get out more, try harder, and be humbler.

Happiness isn't fleeting really, it's just that nothing lasts forever due to the constant state of change that is the Investment of Life. Always being happy would be, well, boring.

Yeah, that's what bothers me about your view: the wording. 'Fleeting'...sounds so...depressing. I mean, it's not a cause that isn't worth fighting for, being happy or wanting joy, it's worth a helluva lot.

If you can be happy for even a minute, really feel good, then it was worth the effort. Period. That paradox, the Stairway to Joy...it's inaccurate. I mean, didn't you yourself once say that that happiness is a choice?

...Jeez, that felt good to finally say something about that; it's been bugging me for months now. :P

travelling hobo said...

you need to post something new. it has been too long my dear friend.