Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Exhale...

How quickly I forget how important church is; But after missing it for 3 weeks, this past Sunday I dragged myself there - exhausted from working since 3am and running on two hours of sleep, hungry, and grouchy - and came out feeling... better. Happier and fuller. Like someone had just opened my head and poured in another month's worth of vital fluids.
I don't think that's the best way to go to church. Despite my best efforts to convince myself, I just can't believe that church is meant for ME to feel better. However, sometimes it does just that.
Whether it was a soft conclusion to a crappy week, or the start of a better one I'm not sure (probably a combination of both). But I've felt more at peace and content since I stumbled half asleep into the service on sunday morning and let Riley's words of wisdom wash over me while I sucked down a juicebox. Sometimes I get so caught up in having to do things. Achieve something, strive towards a goal, serve, assist, be passionate, grow, build up relationships. Anything and everything that I fill my life with. That I forget it all starts with me just showing up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh cool, you linked Cindy!

I was wondering about her the other day, thanks!

On a side note, this description of the revitalizing effects of church are quite...revitalizing in themselves; especially:

"Like someone had just opened my head and poured in another month's worth of vital fluids."

Or this:

"Sometimes I get so caught up in having to do things...That I forget it all starts with me just showing up."

Power of words, I guess; I don't attend church and now I want to.

Heather said...

Well you can come with me any day.

Fenlore said...

not to want to interject without permission, but do you know that is the first time I have ever heard chadd say he wanted to go to church, seriously.

Oh, uh, I found my way here through chadd's blog, hope that's not a problem

~Bryan